The Laurel

The Shetland Times, 12 October 1907 reported an important event at the Ness. Harry Irvine of Glenfield got a Fifie fishing boat, the Laurel. Built in Sandhaven in 1902, and operated there by F. (probably Francis) Watt, as FR 962, it became LK 680. It was an optimistic time in the South Mainland, where the population had actually increased – unlike in many parts of Shetland. This was largely due to the herring industry, and the Laurel was to pursue the herring for the almost the next half century.

Photographed by A. Flaws, crew on board LK 680 Laurel Bobby Smith, John Sinclair and Jackie Johnson.

The initial owner was Sinclair Johnston, a Lerwick draper who used the slogan Sinclair Johnston’s trousers are coming down for his sales. In 1919 the owners were Harry (1858-1947) and George Arthur Irvine (1881-1953) – father and son – and two Scalloway men – Laurence Williamson and William Ross Smith. Harry Irvine was the first skipper, George in 1919, Harry again in 1920, with George for 1926-1934, and finally Alex Flaws of Gusseltoon from 1935-1955.

Crew of the Laurel LK 680, 1940s; Harry Irvine, Peter Sinclair (Outvoe), George Robert Smith (Troswick), George Burgess, Alex Flaws (skipper).

Alex Flaws was a distinguished mariner. He had served in the RNR in World War One, and again in World War Two as skipper of HMT Cape Melville. He was awarded a DSC for rescuing crew from the collier Rubislaw, mined in the Thames in November 1939.

The Laurel worked as a sailboat. Press reports show her doing well. A report from July 1909 has her landing 50 crans at Lerwick, and in October a report from Sandwick suggested that she was one of a number of boats with average earnings probably not far short of £500. In July 1910 she was reported to have earned £440 up to the present time. In 1920, the Laurel got a Gardner engine, extending her working life.

LK 680 anchored at Levenwick in 1922. Beyond her is LK 1104 SUNSHINE. Photographed by Bertie McLaughlan.

If the herring industry had been better between the wars the Laurel would probably have been replaced. When World War Two came skipper Flaws went into the Royal Navy and the Laurel was laid up. She was once advertised for sale, but nothing came of it, and she went back into action when the war finished.

In June 1946 she got her biggest shot of 191 cran. In 1955, the Shetland Times of 26 August reported that the old Laurel had 120 [cran]. The Laurel was keeping her end up at age 53. Alex Flaws was 63, Robert Smith of Troswick and John Sinclair of Outvoe, also on the boat, were 64. When the Laurel developed a problem with a leak they had to decide on whether it was worth repairing for the next season. Nearing retirement age they decided against.

The end of the Laurel came when she was taken to Aithsvoe, Cunningsburgh, for scrapping. Or not quite, as she never got completely dismantled and parts of her remained there for decades. The Laurel’s capstan was one of those surviving items, and when the time came to restore LK 243, the Swan, the capstan was uplifted and put to a new use. Part of the Laurel lived on at sea on a fellow Fifie.

LK 243 Swan in Lerwick, September 2014, the Laurel's capstan brightly visible in red.

Note – Many thanks are due to Willie Flaws of Dunrossness for his help.

Related Posts

Land of Straw Art Exhibition

Opening today, Berenice Carrington’s exhibition at the Shetland Museum and Archives focuses on the agricultural cycle of growing ...

Read more

Join the guest list for BBC Radio 4’s Any Questions at Shetland Museum and Archives

It’s your chance to ask a question and influence the debate as BBC Radio 4’s Any Questions is coming to Shetland Museum and ...

Read more

Shetland's jubilations (Part 2)

2022 is the third time in twenty years there’s been a Royal Jubilee, so you might think they come around often. In fact, it’s in ...

Read more

Shetland's jubilations (Part 1)

2022 is the third time in twenty years there’s been a Royal Jubilee, so a body might think they come around often. In fact, it's in ...

Read more

Johnnie Notions Project

We are delighted to announce that we have been awarded funding from The Royal Society to make a film on 18th Century Shetland pioneer, ...

Read more

Letters on Shetland

I got a book in the post the other day, always a good thing. 'Letters on Shetland' by Peter Jamieson (1898-1976), published in 1949 ...

Read more

Hay’s Dock by the Dowry now open

Food and drink is back on the menu at Shetland Museum and Archives, with the much-anticipated opening of ‘Hay’s Dock by the ...

Read more

Crofthouse Museum open for the summer

The Crofthouse Museum at Dunrossness will be opening for the summer season from Sunday 1 May. The site has been closed for the last ...

Read more

Restoration work to begin on Maggie Helen at historic Hay's Dock

This week Shetland Museum and Archives will welcome traditional sail vessel the Swallow to Hay's Dock with its crew of shipwrights ...

Read more

Gunnister Man Coins

Over 70 years after his discovery in a Northmavine peat bog, Gunnister Man continues to intrigue. Last week Shetland Museum curator, ...

Read more

We are hiring - Cultural Heritage Manager

We have an exciting new position for a Cultural Heritage Manager to lead our work in protecting, enhancing and promoting Shetland’s ...

Read more

World Book Day

On World Book Day, it is worth musing about the history of library collections in Shetland. There have been highs and lows in the ...

Read more

The Dowry set to open café/restaurant at Shetland Museum’s historic Hay’s Dock

Shetland Amenity Trust is pleased to announce that food and drink will once again be on the menu having reached an agreement with The ...

Read more

Shackleton's Shetland Pallbearers - A Talk

Shetland Museum and Archives will be kicking off its Year of Stories by marking the 100th anniversary of the burial of Sir Ernest ...

Read more

Highlights from two centuries of Shetland fine knitted lace on display

A new awe-inspiring display of Shetland fine knitted lace spanning two centuries is now available to view at the Shetland Museum and ...

Read more