Supporting Dementia Friends
During dementia awareness week, many of our staff took part in Dementia Friends training delivered by Ann Williamson, Alzheimer Scotland-Shetland and Alan Murdoch, NHS Shetland.
The five key messages learned were:
• Dementia is not a natural part of aging
• Dementia is caused by brain disease
• Dementia is not just about losing your memory
• It is possible to live well with dementia
• There is more to the person than the dementia
We are proud to work with the Shetland branch of Alzheimer Scotland on a monthly basis running a reminiscence session “Dus Du Mind” and an art session “When I Paint I Remember”. Both sessions are free, and welcome new members.