Summer Maritime Programme
Visit the Shetland Museum this summer as we celebrate our maritime heritage with themed exhibitions, activities and tours.
We are looking forward to the return of The Tall Ships Races to Shetland – and to mark the occasion we have organised a full summer programme taking place throught July and August which celebrates our rich maritime heritage. We have a fantastic range of exhibitions and displays, as well as tours, workshops and activities for all ages.
Peerie Boats - The Diversity and Craftmanship of Model Ships - this display showcases the breadth and diversity of the ship and boat models contained within the collection and the skill of those who made them. | Location - Briggiestanes
- Ship Ahoy! - Tall Ships inspired artwork by primary and secondary pupils from Shetland schools | Location - Stairwells & Upper Archives Foyer
- The Shetlanders who Buried Shackleton - | Location - Upper Gallery
- Fisherwomen - A photographic exhibition by award-winning photographer Craig Easton which follows the historic route of the old herring fleet from Shetland to Great Yarmouth. | Location - Da Gadderie
- John Johnson: Hobby Artist at Sea - An exhibition of paintings and ships in bottles by Shetland resident John Johnson, a merchant seaman who was born in Papa Stour in 1873 | Location - 'Da Neuk' Upper Viewing Area
- To the End of the Days of Sail - An exhibition about tall ships and the Shetland sailing era, showing a selection of notable Shetland sailing masters and their vessels from the 1840s to the 1920s | Location - Upper Foyer
- The Norwind : A Model Schooner with Fine Lace Sails - The Norwind, a restored model schooner with elegant Shetland Fine Lace Sails, will be on display in the Museum's entrance foyer until the end of October 2023.
- The Saatbrack: Musical Sound Collaboration with Shetland Arts - (during the Tall Ships) a collaboration between Jenny Sturgeon and Renzo Spiteri. It will be an immersive piece of sound-art/music, drawing inspiration and raw material from the maritime world. | Location - Boat Hall
Boat Displays - View sixareens, fourareens and lifeboats from St Sunniva and Oceanie outside at the historic Hay's Dock on display during Tall Ships (26th - 29th July)
Activities & Tours
Kids activities - we have various free scavenger hunts and trails available throughout the summer including the Maritime Mega Hunt. There's lots of things in the museum galleries which showcase Shetland's maritime past. Hunt for the artefacts shown in the pictures to become a maritime expert! Drop-in to the Museum and pick up sheet from the foyer.